Powered By Blogger

Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Beginning of the Encounter

When I had finished class 12, and was prepared to leave for my college, Shreyas had told me this "DUDE THERE IS AN OPERATING SYSTEM CALLED UBUNTU. THEY SHIP THEIR CD FOR FREE. CHECK THIS SITE www.shipit.ubuntu.com." Without even knowing what Ubuntu is, I went to the site to check it out. Since it was free and I was not losing anything by ordering a CD, I had ordered one. The CD was called "UBUNTU 8.04 HARDY HERON" which made no sense to me. The CD came to my house and when I tried installing, my display was screwed and my monitor became plain WHITE. Thinking Ubuntu  sucked, I left it and completely forgot about it.

In semester 2 our computer science professor Mr Sanjay K Sahay taught us a little on linux as a part of our curriculum. Sanjay, who is a bad teacher, could not give a proper impression about linux to students. This again increased the haterd towards linux.

I attened a workshop by a compny called Nettech. There I had learnt about the advanced features of linux. This one month period is makng me write this blog today. I regret using any MICROSOFT product till now. I also regret hating linux for so long. Linux is the best OS available. It's main organizational component, the kernel, is as secure as the Fort-Knox. No virus, fully secure are the features of this operating system.

Thus after the end of this workshop, i installed UBUNTU 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope on my laptop parallel to WINDOWS Vista. Now, microsoft has been removed from my dictionary. Actually no. It has a meaning which goes like this "A dumb, stupid, insecure, inefficient, useless operating system." I thank Mr Swapan Purkait for introducing linux to me in an amazing way.

This was how I started using Ubuntu. Its probably just 3 months, but all these 3 months have been amazing. I have personally learnt a lot about computers. Most importantly, the importance of Google was realized beacuse of Ubuntu. I suggest all to start using this wonderful OS and enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment